Neon City Nights
Thufir Bashir Hawat
“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.” ― Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince
Int 5 Ref 7/9 Tech 5 Cool 9 Attr 4
Luck 3 MA 4 Body 8/10 Emp 5/3 (33)
Save 10 BTM -5
Run 12 Leap 3 Lift 320lbs
Combat Sense +6, Awareness/Notice +4, Handgun +5, Martial Arts (Wrestling Boxing) +2/4, Melee +1, Weapons Tech +4, Rifle +4, Athletics +4, Submachinegun +3, Stealth +3, Intimidate +2, Shadow/Track +2, Dodge/Escape +3, Drive +2, First Aid +2, Endurance +2, Resist Torture/Drugs +2, Dodge/Escape +3, Basic Tech +3, Demolitions +2, Language (Arabic/Hebrew/Streetslang) +8, Language Russian +3 (chipped)
Reflex Boost (Kerenzikov) +2
Cyberoptic w/ Antidazzle
Muscle & Bone Lace
Medium Armoured Trenchcoat (SP 18)
Takanaka Durasilk Suit (+2 W&S, SP 10)
Concealed Ballistic Nylon Vest (SP 10)
Beat-up hardcover copy of Machiavelli’s ‘The Prince’
Arasaka Minami 10
Type: Heavy submachinegun
Ammunition: 10 mm (2D6 +3)
Reliability: very good
Range: 150 meters
Reference: Cyberpunk 2020
Smith & Wesson 6040C
Type : Very heavy automatic pistol
Accuracy : 1
Availability : Poor
Concealability : Jacket
Magazine : 12
Rate of fire : 2 Cartridge : 12 mm (4D6+1)
Reliability : standard
Range : 50 meters
- Born Bashir Said-Al’Hamza in the Sudan, North Africa, but was raised in Neon City, California, by his doting parents Suleiman and Selena Al’Hamza. Selena worked as Executive Liason for the Sudanese corporate branch of Arasaka, before she transferred State-side. Suleiman was a Manager of Operations for the Arasaka Accounting Bureau. Bashir attended the best schools and academies available in the corporate suburbs of Neon city. He wanted for nothing as the only son of higher corporate execs. The easy life of the corporate elite.
…and hated every minute of it.
- The softness of the life. Nothing of value built with his own hands. Everything given to him through a trust fund, even his friends were assigned to him due to his familial prestige. Everything was fake and void of emotional impact.
- He would frequently skip his classes and lessons to go wander the streets outside of the safe corporate zone. It was during these wanderings he first met Fan Death, a kindred spirit and fast friend. Though he had someone who understood him in Fan death, year after year his life and legacy crowded in on him. Eventually he couldn’t take it any longer and without telling anyone, including Fan, he just left. It wasn’t until nearly 15 years later that he returned home. Where he went and what he did during those years is unknown to all but a select few.
- Bashir returned to the wasteland of the post-war Middle East where he found some remaining distant relatives. It was with these people that he found out more of his familial and religious heritage. In the aftermath of the Middle-Eastern Wars, a new power was rising; the Druze peoples were consolidating their resources to create a new socio-political base. They were trying to rebuild the oil reserves to make a place for themselves in the global economy. Unfortunately, the area had devolved into minor warlords battling over the remaining resources; so to challenge these marauders, the Druze peoples created the Shock Regiments. They were looking for driven individuals willing to give all to protect Druze interests. It was here among these people Bashir would find his calling in life.
- Bashir flourished in this environment. The harsh discipline and military mentality suited him. His dogged pursuit of his goals and almost cruel pragmatism saw him through conflict after conflict. He found he could find little to like in his fellow human beings, they being mere tools to be used and discarded as needed, and thus had no qualms when it came to “making examples” to preempt retaliation. As Niccolò Machiavelli once said, “Men ought either to be well treated or crushed, because they can avenge themselves of lighter injuries, of more serious ones they cannot; therefore the injury that is to be done to a man ought to be of such a kind that one does not stand in fear of revenge.”
- So effective were they that within 2 years, the Druze regiments wiped out all competition in the area, leaving nothing but ash in their wake. After routing their enemies so thoroughly, the Shock Regiments turned to mercenary work to supplement the newly established Druze economy. A year later, in 2008, the Second Corporate War ignited the South China Basin. SovOil, saw the benefits of such a group as the Shock Troopers in the war and hired several squads to fight on their behalf against their rivals, Petrochem. During this war, Bashir saw some of the worst and heaviest actions in Djakarta, Malaysia, the Philippines and the Spratly Archipelago. After the war (2009), SovOil retained the services of some of the Units, including Bashir’s and he was stationed first in the Groznyy (Northern Caucasus) and then Urengoy (west Siberian lowlands, Arctic Circle) oilfields as a security/counter ops detail against terrorist actions until he mustered out in 2013.
- During his time in the Regiments Bashir made no real long term (or even short term) relationships. Only his combat and SERE (Survive, Evade, Resist, Extract) teachers made any lasting impression on him. Allies died, work (and woman) were frequent but temporary; life went on. But in May of 2014, things changed. Bashir was doing a simple snatch and grab of a low end MetroCorp exec stateside when it went pear shaped and ended with the corp dead with his finger on the trigger in front of the Atlanta PD. An anonymous tip to the police landed him in Sing Sing Maximum Security Correctional Facility. On the plus side, Fan Death was there waiting in the female ward. The only friend he ever made, was also incarcerated for cyber-crimes. Stranger things have happened.
- 6 years later, a breakout occured…
- Why Thufir Bashir Hawat you ask? Well, while he was getting forged documents and a new identity he was asked what name he would like and Dune was on the television in the back room…